The Action Button on the iPhone 15 Pro is a small feature I eagerly anticipated.
Apple offers nine options from which I specifically wanted to access both the silent mode and the camera. I also wanted the actions to activate right away upon pressing the Action button, without needing to select anything from the on-screen menu after the button press.
Given my preferences, I knew it has to be through an iOS shortcut but lacking the technical knowledge to set it up myself, I turned to the internet for help. My search lead me to this Thread by John Gruber from Daring Fireball. I instantly liked it as it felt like a good balance between the singular options Apple provides and some extreme setups I have seen.
Click on this Thread to learn more.
To set this up, you will need to install the Actions app, and download the two shortcuts from the following iCloud links:
- Action Button: Camera / Mute Face-Down. Here is the screenshot of this shortcut:
- Toggle Silent Mode. Here is how this shortcut looks:
When I tried to setup these shortcuts, I faced the following problems:
- The actions didn’t show up in the Shortcuts app.
- There is an exact FAQ for this problem here, and the solution is to restart the phone and it worked.
- You may notice that iPhone won’t vibrate on switching to the silent mode.
- This can be fixed by selecting the “Play in Silent Mode” option from Settings → Sounds & Haptics → Haptics.